Monday, July 6, 2009

Just like my dad

Today I got...lost. I drove south from work to find this mall that was half an hour away on the freeway, but after diving through the ridiculous traffic that is the 5 freeway, I exited and proceeded to "wing" my way through Southern Orange County. Winding, long roads bordered by soaring trees not withstanding, I kept the setting golden sun on my right and followed road after road with my windows down and my music blasting until just as I began to wonder if I had gotten TOO lost, I arrived at my destination. Just like that. There's a certain satisfaction that comes from finding yourself in the midst of ...being lost. One though in my mind that I enjoyed as I stepped out of my car with that setting, golden sun shining on the horizon was that my mom would always half complain/half admire my dad's love for always discovering new roads, for never taking the same way twice. When I was young it was the most annoying thing because it always felt longer to get to our destination. I'm glad to find that as I get older, I'm learning that I have a passion and thirst for the journey itself rather than the destination, and that I definitely got that passion from my dad. It's one thing about me that has solidified itself, and no one can take away. An absolute faith.

2 comments:

Kris Lee said...

It was the same for me growing up. I always wondered growing up why guys "never ask for directions". Now I know, it's not about where you're going or how fast you get there, it's about the ride.

Gina said...

Hey Jon, how's it going? Looks like you decided to join the blogger crowd as well! I like your title...very you! Hope all is well!